Friday, April 27, 2012

I'm pleased to make your acquiantance

Hi there,

However you come to be at my little creative outlet on the web, I'm glad you're here.  For awhile I have been posting my crafting projects with my personal blog.  Wanting to separate those things a bit, I'm moving all of my crafty posts to this new blog.  I'm just moving in but soon I'll be uploading new projects as well as reloading the old ones that were posted on the other blog.  If you're interested, you can visit my other blog at:

http://randomthoughtsmindlessmusings.blogspot.com/

I share the daily activities of our day, recipes, movie and book reviews and anything else I feel like sharing at the moment.

As for my crafting blog, I thought I might start with some introduction.  This is where I try to say something witty, something insightful, tell you something about me in as little words as possible. Well, from this very first post you'll find that I'm quite the chatty type.

So, a little about me, at least the crafty side of me...

I started scrapbooking quite by accident. In fact, for a long time, I didn't understand what the big deal about scrapbooking was. My sister in laws scrapbooked and it seemed as though they enjoyed it and I did my best to be supportive of their creative outlets by buying them supplies and things for birthdays and Christmas. I showed interest by always wanting to look at the things that they had created, but I did not think that scrapbooking would ever be something I would do. HA! Little did I know.

During the summer of 2009, I had the idea that I would start to keep journals for all of my nieces and nephews (there are a total of 12 now, soon to be 13!). I would share with them stories about our times together in hopes that when they are older, they would like to hear about their antics when they were little. I bought composition books and some colored pens and I was on my way, writing down little anecdotes as the little ones grew. One day, as I was looking at the blank covers on those composition books, I thought what a good idea it would be to decorate them.

I pulled out all of the crafting supplies that I had and I started to decorate the outside of these journals. I wanted them to be personalized to the children whose stories they contained. I went to the craft store and bought alphabet stickers and other types of stickers to make them that way. As I sat creating all of these covers, I realized something. I was truly enjoying myself.

I have never categorized myself as a creative person. What I create can't possibly compete with some of the other artists that are found on the web sharing their creative endeavors, but for me, this is a hobby that I have started and stuck with - something I hadn't done before. I like nothing better now than to be sitting at my desk covered in glitter, bits of paper flying everywhere, glue bonding my fingers together. I have to say I never thought I'd ever get here, but I'm sure glad I have.

I've acquired a whole new vocabulary and I've learned so many new things. I am constantly on scrapbook.com or twopeasinabucket.com and on youtube watching for the latest supplies and techniques.

My skills have grown quite considerably since I started this journey - as you will see. In the next few weeks, I will be uploading all of my older projects and my new ones, as well. Once that's done, I'm hoping to start creating things on a weekly basis to share.

I can't promise any new techniques - but who knows?
I can't promise any swoon worthy cards or layouts - but who knows?

What I've found as I've read blogs and message boards and watched youtube videos is that even though our skill levels are different and our tastes are different and our styles are different, we are connected through this wonderful hobby.

I hope that you'll enjoy my creations and I hope that you'll comment and leave me your blog address as well. I'd love to see what all of you are creating.

No comments:

Post a Comment